Tuesday 18 January 2011

Plenum planning





I worked hard to make a nice airbox on the gsxr engine. Now I am turboing the engine I need an airbox that can handle the elevated pressure. The pressure might be as high at 15psi, which results in big forces over the area of an airbox. For example if the airbox were 14inch x 6inch then the net force of 1200lbs on the wall of the airbox. This means that something strong is needed!

Enter the Nissan Pulsar GTiR Plenum lid. The Nissan Pulsar is a turbocharged monster of a little car. Fortunately it has a plenum that is modular. So you can bolt a plate to it, and in the plate you can put mount the throttle bodies.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, lets hope so.

The black stuff is tufnol. I used 1/4inch tufnol, because I wanted something that is fairly thick to resist the force from the air pressure, also tufnol is relatively low density (1.4kg/litre), has good temperature resistance (120deg C) but mostly I used tufnol because I had some hanging around and it can be machined using a router.

So I made 3 back plates and then turned 2 of them into spacers. In the process I covered the whole shed with fine black dust!

The next step is to mount the throttle bodies to the back plate. I think I can use the existing gsxr600 rubber mounts, which would be excellent, but I need to make some holes in my new backplate which is a bit scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment