Sunday 2 January 2011

manifolds aren't as easy as they look!

Update:

When people ask for advice, why don't they take it???? well in my case I had gone to far already, and I don't know anyone who can tig local to me.

The good news is that when the 12mm turbo flange distorts you can "machine" is back to flat using the flat face of a grinding wheel mounted in an angle grinder (remove the guard, wear gloves)

The bad news is I am a rubbish welder. Don't try to learn to weld on a manifold.

It has been an interesting challenge though.


Do's and don't of making a turbo manifold.

Do:
Draw up flanges in CadStd and get them made by andyw7de
Ask andy to supply a few offcuts of the same stuff to sort settings
Butt weld the pipes
Get a B&D power file and loads of belts
Get a new angle grinder because your last one broke
Think about how you are going to do all the welds
Tack it and then get someone to Tig it!


Don't
Try to learn welding on a manifold
Start welding (beyond little tacks) before finishing off all the pipes, as its difficult to get access later on.
Overlap pipes, well it seems to work, but looks rubbish
Think that welding is easy
Weld it when it isn't clamped up, as it will distort



I've still got a few holes (in the merge), but hopefully I can bodge that together. Then I can watch it all crack when I put it on the car!


Its all about the journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment