Sunday 27 June 2010

Voltage Mk2

So, the bits arrived.

zx10r 2006 regulator is a FH010. The specification on this isn't clear but most people believe that these can generate 40-50amp. The great thing about these regulators is that instead of shunting spare volts to ground (and consequently wasting the power, and getting very hot in the process) I believe they switch the higher voltages on and off at a high frequency and the rapidly switched voltage looks like a smooth lower voltage. I think this is how it works (this is the same as a switched mode amplifier).

Anyway, on bikes that use alternators that include moving batteries the regulator/rectifier is an essential part. My alternator is more like a car one, the rotor carries a current (3 Amps, driven by the battery which I didn't include in my previous calculation) rather than magnets. The regulator in mine alters the rotor current so as to keep the voltage at 12v. This all makes good sense, but as noticed before it doesn't work so well for me.

So, I have removed the old regulator, and the old rectifier, wired up the rotor to 12v (non regulated), and fed the 3 phases of the alternator into the new FH010 regulator.

This is a new idea, but the logic is;
My problem isn't really different to the case with magnets, and these regulators work then.
This regulator should pump more current than the old one, as it can use the higher voltages from the alternator.
The old one didn't work, so hopefully this one will!

So far, it seems to re-charge the battery way quicker than the old alternator. At idle the battery charges EXCEPT when the lights and fans are both on. I tried dropping down to 1 fan (or 2 in series) and these were insufficiently powerful to cool the engine (it is 25deg C here at the moment, but that is no excuse).

More as it happens. The regulator runs nice and cool. I think this might turn out to be a great modification.

No comments:

Post a Comment