Sunday 20 March 2011

Progress, but now the water has got out



Went for another run.

Turns out that I had blown the head gasket the last time I went out. Still runs and goes, but over heats and plumes of white smoke on the over-run.

Not a big deal as this was always a disposable engine. Plot shows the megasquirt log of a run. Shows a few things:

1) fuel pressure in the rail drops (gsxr1000 pump isn't man enough) and engine leans out. This is bad, but I have an uprated pump to fit.
2)it boosts, apparently to 0.33Atm (i.e. 5psi, same as spring) and then I get more boost, but it goes up more slowly, to around 7.5psi.
3)internal dump valve might be a bit whoosy. MAP is measured after the throttle plates, but even after the plates are closing the pressure stays high. This indicates that the dump valve isn't dumping (easily fixed, but I'd need to get on e-bay).

Lots of other stuff, but basically, it is mad, and broken.

I need to book the kitchen table to get it up and going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment