Thursday 17 March 2011

Boost seen!

Went out for the second run with the turbo on.

The first run was a disaster as I dropped my bike helmet onto the laptop screen, which cracked and put a swift halt to a tuning session. I only replaced it yesterday. It did highlight that I needed to protect the bonnet from the heat from the turbo.


So today, I drove a short maybe 10mile route at a steady pace collecting data and gradually becoming braver.

The good news, I get boost (5psi spring, which seems to give me 7.5psi at 7krpm). The fueling isn't great at the moment as I am having to build a new table (the old table was Alpha-N, now I am going SD), but that is something to iterate on. The engine is now officially mad. It was mad before from about 7krpm, now it is mad up to 7krpm too! I didn't rev above 7k today, as I want to get fueling approximately right first.

The bad news. Stopped to fill with fuel at the petrol station (still got last years fuel in), and I flattened the battery trying to restart. Mostly this was my fault (flattish battery, careless when turning the lights on as they are HID and so require a blip to avoid the engine cutting out!). So I need to charge it and set up the warm-starting fueling. Nothing too difficult, but I ended up having to walk home to collect a battery which wasn't in the plan. At least my wife got a laugh out of it.


The exhaust sounds nice too.


At the moment it is running slightly lean, which is really bad for a turbo engine, but that is easily solved. So, I'll get the battery charger on tonight. Looking forward to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment