Monday 5 July 2010

Staged injection, the search for smaller injectors

Most people are after larger injectors, that is injectors that inject more fuel. I have fitted 2 lots of injectors for each cylinder. The outer injector comes in once the air is flowing fast into the cylinder, the inner injector flows all the time.

In this configuration the fuel from the outer injector gets really nicely mixed with the air, and this also cools the air and so increases the charge density (the amount of air getting into the cylinder), both of these things are good for power.

THe problem is that my outer injectors are around 200cc/min, but the inners are around 270cc/min. The software expects the outers to be bigger than the inners and so......

So, I am hunting for smaller inner injectors. The injectors that I have are standard Keihin KN4 as supplied for GSXR motorcycles from 2000-2003 (gsxr600 all the way to gsxr1300 used these). I discovered that Keihin makes its money from supplynig Honda, and it turns out that Hondas of these eras also used these injectors (specifically the s2000, CRX, Odyssey and maybe others). So now I am hunting for a Honda with injectors smaller than 200cc/min. I found that Honda Accords have this style of injector (3 of these at a local breaker FWIW).

On this site it shows me what Hondas have small injectors:
http://www.accordinglydone.com/data/injectors.php

So I am after injectors from a Honda Civic CX with a 1.5 or 1.6litre non vtec engine. The problem is CX was only a US designation. Why is this so difficult!

Other useful pages
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/Ranger/AccelFuelInjectors.pdf

and
http://www.fuelinjector.citymaker.com/HONDA_FUEL_INJECTORS.html

I think I have enough information to work out which Honda part numbers relate to which flow rate, and so mayeb back to the Keihin part numbers. Not enough time to do it now though.

4 comments:

  1. So I need either the 4 injectors from:
    1996-97 4 Civic CX, DX, LX SOHC 16V (106 HP) 1590cc D16Y7
    or
    1996-97 4 Del Sol S SOHC 16V (115 HP) 1590cc D16Y7

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turns out that as we make Honda Civics in this country that we don't generally use the D16Y7 engine here (don't ask me why).

    Therefore if you need these then you have to get them from a Honda Civic Coupe 1.6i (non-vtec), 96-97

    Anyway I have ordered some from e-bay and will see what turns up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Posting about Staged injection, the search for smaller injectors .
    Cheap Radiators & Radiator Fans

    ReplyDelete
  4. HPI 120lb injectors, 96lb injector, 250lb, Fits LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6 – High Performance Injectors

    ReplyDelete