Tuesday 24 May 2011

New timing wheel, glowing turbo



Reinstalled the 12-1 wheel, and started up. The throttle needed opening pretty wide to get a stable idle, which was surprising.

Went for a drive and it wasn't pulling very well. Fueling not great probably, so I optimised it at the side of the road a bit. Helped a bit, but still not great.

Then it started getting dark, and I noticed the exhaust glowing really brightly, this heat went all the way back to the headers which were glowing (less brightly, maybe blood red). There are air holes in the bonnet and in the dark this was really visible. So, I stopped by the side of the road and advanced the ignition by 5 degrees. Immediately the RPM shot up and I had to close down the throttles. Clearly the timing was way out and so I added another 5 degrees. Engine started much more crisply, and turbo glowed less, added another 5 deg which only helped.

I need to get the trigger wheel timed in properly, and also put some insulation on the underside of the bonnet.

According to my calculations the turbo is getting up to between 745 and 790deg C.


I need to sort this out before I cook the oil and block the turbo from getting any oil.

This also reminds me that I need to sort out the insulation for the underside of the bonnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment